Spiderman 3 Review - 6.5/10

From: , By Bevans on Sunday, May 06, 2007

Apparently, Sony is planning Spiderman 4-6 right now. If they can keep them as interesting as this one was, then I might as well give them my money now. Actually, they'll have to be satisfied with an IOU, because I'm broke. That's if they were actually accepting money for the next 3 movies right now. Oh, but I'm rambling.

So yea, I liked it a lot, despite its flaws. I'd say it was better than #1 but not as good as #2. But maybe I'm biased, since Doc Ock is my favorite Spiderman villain and they got him PERFECT in the movie.

It's really hard to go over what you like about a movie, and really easy to go over what you didn't. So I guess you can assume that I liked everything that I didn't like.

So what didn't I like? For starters, there was just too damn much Mary Jane. Kirsten Dunst isn't exactly my favorite actress, and she was exactly the same as she was in the previous two movies: boring boring boring. We have characters in this movie who can shoot webs from their hands, turn into sand, and fly. Why did they have to stick so much "struggling actress" into it? I didn't pay $9.25 for a Hallmark Channel special. Fortunately, the parts that aren't about MJ are a blast to watch. Supposedly, Dunst doesn't want to do any more Spiderman movies, and for that I'm glad.

What else didn't I like? Sandman. The actor was great, the sand effects were great, but they basically turned him into a lumbering Frankenstein monster that kills without thought. His "I just want to help my daughter" story isn't exactly believable when he's smashing people by the dozens.

The fact that the movie had three villains to try to juggle when they weren't advancing the insipid love story meant that they had a lot of story to tell, but not enough time to tell it. You can tell by some noticeable gaps in the story, as well as a couple too-convenient duct tape-style segments that tie things together, that a lot of content got left on the cutting room floor.

I wish they had just focused on Harry, Sandman, and the black suit, and just left Venom as a cameo at the end so they could focus on him in the next one. Why did they feel like they had to jam three unrelated villains into one movie? Hell, even TWO is too much sometimes (I'm thinking of the Batman movies, pre-Bale).

Aside from those problems, it was still a blast to watch. The fights are great (though they use too much CG in them) and Spidey is still a great character. There were even some surprises to ME, and I thought I knew what was going to happen since I know the source material. It had the action, the characters, the humor (oh Bruce Campbell, you're just too awesome for words), and the suspense that the previous movies had.

Basically, I'm saying that if you liked the other Spidey movies, you'll like this one. I give it an 6.5/10.

2 comments:

By Anonymous on May 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM:

2 of the 3 are linked, and venom needs to be a single movie in itself. mary jane was lame, but your rant was lamer.

Bevans on May 22, 2008 at 4:44 PM:

Um...sorry? I appreciate the feedback, but drive-by anonymous insults aren't exactly productive.

Post a Comment